10.28.2010

Sass and Spice: A Pastiche of "Wants"

In the words of the Spice Girls, "Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want." I want men to be more direct than they actually are so I know I'm not groping (or dancing) in the dark, only to find my way out (the exit sign glows in the dark). When anyone is tip toe-ing around me, seeming like they want something but not articulating what they want from me, it bothers me. It's like playing body language charades with passive aggressive people; I'm not well-versed in body language (and mind reading)... plus I don't want to guess. It's like working in customer service again: mister/ma'am, I can't help you unless you tell me what's going on. Throw me a bone please... or better yet, please toss me a Krispy Kreme donut; I crave sweet things :D.

Also in the spirit of "wants," Liz Lemon says what I'm not brave enough to say to men:
"I don't want to hurt you. But I'll tell you what I do want. I want someone who will be monogamous and nice to his mother.
Anthony Perkins in Psycho (1960)
well, definitely not him.
And I want someone who likes musicals but knows to just shut his mouth when I'm watching Lost.
Gene Kelly in An American in Paris (1951)
Hot daaaaamn.
And I want someone who thinks being really into cars is lame and strip clubs are gross. I want someone who will actually empty the dishwasher instead of just taking out forks as needed, like I do. I want someone with clean hands and feet and beefy forearms like a damn Disney prince.
Prince Phillip in Sleeping Beauty (1959)
I think he likes what he sees.
And I want him to genuinely like me, even when I'm old.
Ma and Pa Newman, probably in on some inside joke. cute :)
And that's what I want." (30 Rock Season 4, Episode 17 "Lee Marvin vs. Derek Jeter")
There are so many wants, needs, and desires in our lives. Is it possible for people to be content with this excess of wants? Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment, or is it good to be idealistic? I suppose asking what someone wants in life is a loaded question; I'm not entirely sure what I want either, but I do know what I don't want, and so perhaps I can filter out all the unwanted things and find out what are the things I do want in my life. "Want" is such a selfish word, but at least it provides some general direction or guidance for what works for people when it comes for them to make decisions. Wants are always battling the shoulds in our lives; but hey, it's a decision making factor. It's good to know what you want, and it's good to know what makes you happy, even if it's for five minutes.

No comments: